Call to Community
The Friends of Saint Joseph welcome you to a retreat at the sisters’ property at Timberlee in Cold Spring, Minnesota. The retreat will start on Friday evening, 27 September, and continue through Monday morning, 30 September. You are welcome to all or part of the retreat, we recommend joining us for the whole day Saturday if you cannot stay overnight.
If you would like to join us, please take these two simple steps:
The retreat is a work-in-progress, so please don’t be surprised by changes to this schedule, but here is what we have planned so far. All times are approximate.
- After 1pm: arrive and settle in any time after 1pm (see directions).
- Afternoon: free to get to Timberlee, enjoy each other’s company, walk, read, play, or just to relax.
- 5pm: evening prayer, a simple blessing for the beginning of the retreat and our intentions. (Kathy Ryan)
- 5:30pm: supper.
- Evening: free.
- Before 9:30am: breakfast. (Dishes will be beaver buckets, set up for you to do your own.)
- 9:40am : chair exercises. (Peggy Fisher)
- 10am: welcome and getting to know each other activity. (Peggy Fisher)
- 10:40am: opening song. (Kathy Ryan)
- 10:45am: input about the CSJ community and introduction to CSJ books. (Carolyn Puccio)
- 11:30am: prayer. (Kathy Ryan)
- 11:45am: walking and free time.
- Noon: lunch.
- 1pm: quiet time.
- 3pm: story telling. What brought you here? What story from a recent life experience would you like to share to help us get to know you better? (Kathy Ryan)
- 4:30pm: appetizers followed by supper.
- After supper: finish the story telling, if needed.
- Evening: campfire songs, games, playing pool or ping-pong, star gazing (the nights are very dark with millions of stars on display if the night is clear).
- 8:30am: breakfast and prep for liturgy with Sunday by Sunday. (Peggy Fisher)
- 10am: depart for liturgy, for those going.
- 10:30am: liturgy at St. John’s University.
- Noon: pancake brunch. (Eric Celeste)
- 1:30pm: input on discernment in preparation for “generous promises” which will be made around the new year. (Cara Anthony)
- 2:30pm: time for individual reflection.
- 3pm: sharing of research on an action to carry out as a result of our retreat. (Ed Fisher)
- 4pm: dinner.
- Evening: games, reading, visiting, stars, whatever you want to do.
- Clean up and depart.
Travel to Timberlee
We will be arranging car pools for travel to Timberlee for the retreat. Please be sure to indicate your interest on the retreat registration form when you sign up. If you are driving yourself, please grab a copy of the directions to Timberlee or click on the Google map below to see where you need to go.
Timberlee is rustic but comfortable. It has drinkable running water, bathrooms, a fireplace, a complete kitchen, and many beds. However, it is not well heated, so if it gets chilly outside, you will be chilly inside. Make sure you bring along appropriate clothing, bedding (sleeping bags or sheets), and bath towels. There are some pillows and blankets, but feel free to bring your own. While there is electricity, flashlights are still a great help, so you should probably bring a flashlight along as well. There is no internet connection available.
There is a phone for emergencies or for folks to call in: 320-685-3154. Most cell phones will also work at Timberlee.
Coffee, tea, and water will be supplied, but please bring along any other beverages you would like to drink or share. Some beverages are listed on the meal signup sheet. Please consider signing up for one or more meal items. You will then be responsible for purchasing and preparing that item. Timberlee has a good kitchen with all the basic equipment, so we can prepare food once we get there, and we can help each other cook.
There is no signup for the Sunday evening meal — we will either feast on leftovers, or get food locally.
Please fill out our Retreat Registration Form as soon as possible so we can complete our planning. Please also feel free to invite a spouse or partner or other interested person to join us!
The sisters ask for a $10 donation per person for the day or a $20 donation if you are staying for the whole weekend. Just bring that along. If it is difficult for you to make this donation, please know you are also welcome to the retreat without it.
Kathy Ryan is coordinating this retreat and is available by email or at 651-699-1161 if you have any questions.